- Windfall profit tax cut on domestic crude oil, diesel; scrapped for ATFon October 2, 2022 at 12:31 pm
The tax at the rate of INR 5 a litre on Aviation Turbine Fuel (ATF) exports was scrapped with effect from October 2, according to a finance ministry notification issued late Saturday night. At the sixth fortnightly review, the government reduced the tax on domestically-produced crude oil to INR 8,000 per tonne from INR 10,500 per tonne.
- India to add 80 airports in next 4-5 years; new rules for aerodromeson October 2, 2022 at 4:27 am
In the last eight years, the number of airports in the country has increased from 74 to 141, and as per the Ministry of Civil Aviation, this will grow up to 220 in the next four to five years. So far, eight greenfield airports — namely Durgapur, Shirdi, Sindhudurg, Pakyong, Kannur, Kalaburagi, Orvakal and Kushinagar — have been operationalised.
- Germany reduces fees for long-term national visas & short-term tourist visason October 1, 2022 at 12:30 pm
The national visa allows a holder to enter Germany for a specific purpose, in most cases to work or study, and is issued for more than 90 days. The Schengen Visa is a short-stay visa for Europe that permits the holder to travel anywhere within the Schengen Area. You can travel to any Schengen nation for up to 90 days total within 180 days.
- Air India considers raising USD 1 billion in a funding round for expansionon October 1, 2022 at 4:32 am
Air India is in discussions with potential investors including private equity funds and sovereign wealth funds. Air India is working with financial advisers on the fundraising, which could be completed in the next few months, the people said, who asked not to be identified as the information is private.
- ‘Indian Diaspora’ led the growth of FTAs in 2021; NRI arrivals increased by 52.6% from 2020on September 30, 2022 at 9:43 am
As per the report analysis, 39.4 per cent of foreign tourist arrivals were from the “Indian Diaspora” followed by, the medical and business sectors. While FTAs experienced a negative growth rate in 2021, NRI and ITAs experienced positive growth. We further analyse how the prospects of increasing diaspora tourism are being leveraged by the government and what further needs to be done for better engagement on a global scale
- Marriott to open 69 new hotels in India, launching new MICE campaigns as well: Ramesh Daryananion September 30, 2022 at 7:13 am
In conversation with ETTravelWorld, Ramesh Daryanani, Vice President, Global Sales, Asia Pacific Marriott International shared the global hospitality major’s plans for the Indian market while sharing thoughts on the global recovery of their hotels. He also shared details on segments that are performing well and regions where Marriot is registering exceptional occupancy levels. Read more…
- Domestic passenger traffic to reach pre-Covid levels in Q4 FY2023, international traffic will recover fully by Q2 FY2024on September 30, 2022 at 6:16 am
ICRA has also revised its outlook on Indian airport infrastructure to stable from negative. ICRA expects the overall passenger traffic to reach 90 per cent of the pre-Covid (similar period in FY2020) levels in September 2022. Domestic passenger traffic accounts for a major proportion (80 per cent of total passenger traffic) of the Indian airports.
- Integrating ‘local youth’, ensuring ‘right publicity’ for new spots key goals, says J&K’s new Tourism Directoron September 30, 2022 at 4:41 am
The recently appointed Director of Tourism for Kashmir, Fazlul Haseeb, shares details on newly identified destinations in J&K, publicity initiatives by the government and the benefits of promoting rural tourism while generating employment for local youth. Haseeb further states that the ‘offbeat’ project is expected to enhance the visibility of J&K as a filming destination.
- Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi becomes India’s first 5G-enabled airporton September 29, 2022 at 9:03 am
Besides, DIAL has put up 5G infrastructure at the entrance of Multi-Level Car Parking (MLCP), inside the terminal and at GMR Aerocity Delhi. DIAL is also planning to set up experience zones for passengers where the passengers can get access to 5G mobile technology.
- Still looking at global recovery in 2024, with good progress being made in 2022 & 2023: IATA DGon September 29, 2022 at 5:33 am
During the 41st ICAO Assembly, Willie Walsh admitted that sustainable aviation fuels have been a key driver in achieving goals of global recovery. He further stated that the governments should unite to incentivise and provide the right framework to ensure that the industry gets greater production of sustainable fuels to achieve net zero by 2050.
- Cabinet sanctions INR 10,000 crore for redeveloping New Delhi, Ahmedabad and Mumbai’s CSMT rail stationson September 29, 2022 at 4:51 am
Railway Minister of India, Ashwini Vaishnaw, said that the design of these stations will be in tune with the cityscape so that it becomes an integral part of the city. As many as 199 stations with a footfall of 50 lakh per day are planned to be redeveloped in the first phase, he said.
- 2021 observed growth of 11.05% in domestic tourist visits in India; FTAs dipped by 44.5%: Reporton September 29, 2022 at 4:29 am
The report titled ‘India Tourism Statistics 2022’ released by the Ministry of Tourism, Government of India, on World Tourism Day indicates a fall in the number of Foreign Tourist Arrivals (FTAs) in 2021 in comparison to the 2020 figures. However, the report further shows that there has been a continuous increase in domestic tourist visits especially in the past two years.
- Penang Convention & Exhibition Bureau to host roadshows in India in early months of 2023on September 28, 2022 at 7:36 am
With an aim of expanding its reach in India which is a key market for the Malaysian state of Penang, Penang Convention & Exhibition Bureau is set to organise roadshows in India. In order to achieve better connectivity between India and Penang, the Penang Convention & Exhibition Bureau is in discussion with airlines both in India and in Malaysia about the possibility of establishing additional direct flight routes between the two destinations.
- National Tourism Awards presented after a two-year gap, Vice President Dhankar honours the awardeeson September 28, 2022 at 5:59 am
The awards ceremony organised on September 27 marked the occasion of World Tourism Day and was followed by multiple launches by the Union Tourism Ministry. India Tourism Statistics 2022 report, new Incredible India global promotional films and “GoBeyond:75 Experiences of North India” e-book, were released by Vice President India, Jagpeep Dhankar, at the occasion.
- Canada to scrap all Covid restrictions for travellers from October 1on September 27, 2022 at 8:40 am
The scrapping of Covid restrictions is likely to boost the Canadian travel industry, already booming after months of lull during the pandemic. According to the Canadian government, the decision to end restrictions was based on Canada’s vaccination rate, availability of newer vaccines and treatments and data showing the country had passed the peak of the latest wave of Coronavirus infections.
- Making India “tourism-ready” at the vanguard of World Tourism Day 2022on September 27, 2022 at 7:22 am
Speaking to ETTravelWorld on the special occasion, the Minister for Tourism, Culture and DONER, G Kishan Reddy, informs that MoT is gearing up to bring Indian tourism back into action. He is pinning hopes on the strategic pillars of National Tourism Policy, new RCS air routes as well as on the E-marketplace launched for tourism facilitators/ guides certification programmes.
- World Tourism Day: The tourism India and travel trade anticipateson September 27, 2022 at 6:04 am
The idea is to put people and the planet first and bring everyone from the public and private sectors to the host communities together around a shared vision for a more sustainable, inclusive, and resilient sector in the days to come. In the Indian context, the country’s travel trade is hopeful to reach pre-pandemic levels of business at the earliest while also focusing on sustainable and eco-sensitive practices.
- World Tourism Day 2022: Industry ready to ‘rethink tourism’on September 27, 2022 at 4:11 am
World Tourism Day returns to focus on the future. As the sector’s recovery gets underway and building on unprecedented political and public recognition for the sector, UNWTO will highlight the opportunity to rethink how we do tourism. This means putting people and planet first and bringing everyone from governments and businesses to local communities together around a shared vision for a more sustainable, inclusive and resilient sector.
- By 2025, Chennai will be our highest Indian growth market: South African Tourismon September 26, 2022 at 10:15 am
In 2021, Chennai was the third largest Indian feeder market to South Africa with 7.5 per cent Indian arrivals from the city. Given the strategic importance of this market, the tourism board engaged with the Tamil Nadu Tourism Development Corporation to discuss skill development and other potential collaborations, while also connecting with other key travel players and corporates.
- IATO announces schedule for its Lucknow convention, inauguration on December 16on September 26, 2022 at 5:17 am
In conversation with ETTravelWorld, Rajiv Mehra, President, IATO announced that the 37th convention of the association scheduled in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh will be held from December 16- 19. The inauguration will take place at the Indira Gandhi Pratishthan in the city on December 16 while post-Fam tours to different parts of the state including Ayodhya will begin from December 19.
- We see Indian tourism as USD 1 trillion avenue: MoT Secretaryon September 26, 2022 at 4:27 am
While the National Tourism Policy is on the cusp of completion, the Ministry of Tourism is hopeful of enhancing the growth aspects, with a focus on sustainability. During a panel discussion at an event in New Delhi, Arvind Singh, Secretary, Ministry of Tourism, Government of India emphasised that speed is the key to planning for the growth of tourism in the country. It must, however, be balanced well with sustainability and must include environment-sensitive behaviours practised by the travellers, as well as the well-being of local communities.
- Yuvraj Singh lists his Goa-home on Airbnb, joins other Indian celebrities as hoston September 25, 2022 at 7:10 am
Airbnb collaborates with Indian celebrity, Yuvraj Singh to list his home in Goa on their app. This collaboration is a step toward the company’s initiative of curating unique stays and experiences for global travellers.
- ‘NBA District’ fan event to arrive in Abu Dhabi between October 5 & 9on September 25, 2022 at 5:30 am
The NBA Abu Dhabi Games 2022 will feature the Atlanta Hawks and the 2021 NBA champion Milwaukee Bucks playing two preseason games at Etihad Arena on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi on October 6 and October 8 at 8 pm GST, marking the league’s first games in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and the Arabian Gulf.
- Turkey reports 58% surge in foreign visitor arrivals in Auguston September 24, 2022 at 6:18 am
The number of foreign visitors to Turkey in the first eight months of the year climbed by 108.5 per cent to 29.3 million compared to the same time in 2021. With a share of 13.6 per cent, Germany was atop countries sending tourists in August, followed by Russia, 12.8 per cent, and Britain, 8.7 per cent. Britain was followed by Bulgaria and Iran.