- Cut in overseas budget a strategic move; focus on targeted promotions: Tourism Ministry officialon February 23, 2024 at 10:39 am
With nearly 150 proposals submitted by the states, the ministry of tourism is gearing up to finalise and develop 50 destinations under the challenge mode. Manisha Saxena, Director General of Tourism, Govt of India, shares more on the consolidation of overseas offices, capacity building, role of local engagement and other initiatives that bore fruit for the ministry.
- Kazakh Tourism opens its first-ever international office in Indiaon February 22, 2024 at 3:02 pm
The collaboration between Kazakh Tourism and Salvia Promoters aims to attract tourist groups from India to Kazakhstan while effectively representing Kazakh Tourism’s interests in the Indian market. Chaudhary, with over two decades of experience in territory promotion and marketing, brings valuable expertise to the partnership. Salvia Promoters, known for its expertise in promoting Central Asian and Russian markets, received a certificate of representation from Sadvakassov.
- Dubai launches five-year multiple-entry visa for Indian tourists amid surging visitor numberson February 22, 2024 at 12:34 pm
Under this program, tourists can obtain a visa within two to five working days, allowing them to stay in Dubai for up to 90 days, extendable once for a similar period, with a maximum stay of 180 days within a year. This flexible visa option caters to both leisure and business travelers, offering unparalleled convenience and connectivity.
- American Airlines is raising bag fees and changing how customers earn frequent-flyer pointson February 22, 2024 at 4:38 am
American Airlines is increasing bag fees and encouraging customers to buy tickets directly to earn frequent-flyer points. The airline said on Tuesday that checking a bag on a domestic flight will rise from USD 30 now to USD 35 online and USD 40 if purchased at the airport. The fee for a second checked bag will rise from USD 40 to USD 45 both online and at the airport. American last raised bag fees in 2018.
- Digi Yatra app users cross 45.8 lakhs: MoCAon February 22, 2024 at 4:15 am
The cumulative Digi Yatra passenger count at various airports since its launch reflects significant growth. Overall, the total cumulative Digi Yatra passenger count surged from 1,12,60,888 by December 31, 2023, to 1,44,95,291 by February 11, 2024, indicating a substantial increase in digital passenger facilitation across multiple airports including Mumbai, Delhi, Bengaluru and others.
- Sri Lanka Tourism achieves record growth with surge in Indian visitors, sets ambitious goal of 2.5 million tourists in 2024on February 21, 2024 at 2:17 pm
Highlighting the surge in Indian tourists visiting Sri Lanka, the events celebrated the doubling of Indian visitors from 13,759 in January of the previous year to 34,399 in January 2024. This exponential growth was attributed to enhanced connectivity between the two countries, with 95 flights connecting Sri Lanka to nine Indian cities, ensuring seamless travel experiences and smooth transactions facilitated by India’s Unified Payments Interface (UPI).
- Japan sees 2.69 million visitors in January, matching 2019’s record paceon February 21, 2024 at 12:38 pm
The number of foreign visitors for business and leisure was 2.69 million last month, down slightly from 2.73 million in December, data from the Japan National Tourism Organization (JNTO) showed. Arrivals in December were an all-time high for that month and capped a pandemic recovery year that saw a little more than 25 million visitors enter the country.
- Visa applications from New Delhi surge by 10% in 2023, close in on pre-pandemic levelson February 21, 2024 at 8:58 am
This surge in visa applications from New Delhi mirrors the broader growth trend observed across India, with the country experiencing a 16 per cent year-on-year increase in visa application volumes in 2023. Compared to pre-pandemic figures, visa application volumes from India reached an impressive 93 per cent of 2019 levels, signaling a strong rebound in international travel aspirations among Indian citizens.
- RCI marks 50th anniversary with year-long celebrations, introduces new products for Indian marketon February 20, 2024 at 11:46 am
In an exclusive conversation with ET TravelWorld, William Hall, Vice-President of Marketing & Digital for RCI EMEA, APAC & India, shared insights into the company’s milestone celebration and its strategic roadmap for the Indian market. The company has introduced two innovative products tailored for the Indian market: RCI Plus and RCI Cruise Exchange.
- Hotels set for 11-13% revenue growth next fiscal on a high base: CRISILon February 20, 2024 at 4:58 am
Demand in the MICE segment is also expected to remain healthy as corporates have resumed their activities post the pandemic induced hiatus. Favourable supply situation is one of the critical drivers of the strong performance of the industry. The CRISIL analysis also indicates that the foreign tourist arrivals in India, despite a growth this fiscal, are estimated to remain 10 per cent below pre-pandemic level.
- India tops list for highest number of passengers at Dubai airport with 11.9 million arrivalson February 19, 2024 at 1:41 pm
With 7.8 million guests, December was the busiest month in the fourth quarter during which the Dubai airport welcomed a total of 22.4 million guests, a year-on-year growth of 13.8 per cent compared to Q4 of last year. Q3 remained the quarter with the highest traffic since 2019 with 23 million guests while August, with 7.9 million guests, was the month with the highest traffic.
- ITDC launches new mascot and fresh tagline; unveils new campaign to promote ‘Wed in India’on February 19, 2024 at 10:59 am
At the launch ceremony at The Ashok Hotel in New Delhi, ITDC Managing Director MR Synrem said that they are actively seeking new business opportunities while enhancing its current verticals to build on the momentum of its record financial performance last fiscal year. “We aim not only to expand but also to elevate our existing services, exploring new avenues for ITDC’s growth as a company,” he said.
- Govt to bring out initiatives to promote Kerala as venue for global meets: Riyason February 19, 2024 at 8:46 am
The tourism minister was speaking after inaugurating the two-day annual conference of the Soft PowerClub, headed by Francesco Rutelli, the former Deputy Prime Minister of Italy. In the context of hosting the event by Kerala Tourism, Riyas said Kerala has immense opportunities in this segment considering the picturesque landscape, eclectic history and rich cultural heritage of the state.
- Rajasthan govt proposes 16 ropeways to Centreon February 19, 2024 at 3:30 am
The state government has forwarded a list of 16 proposed sites in Rajasthan to the minister of road transport and highways (MoRTH), for installation of ropeways. The ropeways have been proposed in 12 districts of the state which includes two each in Rajsamand, Bundi, Jaipur, and Sawai Madhopur, and eight in Udaipur, Sikar, Jodhpur, Dausa, Baran, Banswara, Ajmer and Chittorgarh.
- Bhutan’s focus on becoming a cricket destination: A new chapter in sportson February 18, 2024 at 12:36 pm
60,000 people across Bhutan have been trained in cricket, playing on the highest altitude pitches in the world. To cater to the growing interest in cricket tourism, travel agencies in Bhutan are now offering specialised packages for cricket enthusiasts. These packages include the ground fee, match officials, equipment, lunch, refreshment, cricket opponent, first aid and even trophies.
- OYO ventures into sports hospitality, to provide end-to-end event solutionson February 17, 2024 at 12:00 pm
In a strategic move, OYO has identified 100 hotels across 12 key cities, including Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore, Pune, Lucknow, Jaipur, and Chandigarh, among others, to cater to the unique needs of athletes and sports officials participating in various sports events. These cities, equipped with the necessary infrastructure, are poised to host large sports tournaments effectively.
- GoFirst revival: Bidders race to revive grounded airline, SpiceJet & SkyOne lead the chargeon February 16, 2024 at 1:50 pm
The bidding process comes amid GoFirst’s recent challenges, including difficulties with Pratt & Whitney engines that led to the airline’s voluntary insolvency application to the National Company Law Tribunal in May 2023. With a 60-day extension granted by the National Company Law Tribunal for GoFirst’s moratorium, potential investors have a window of opportunity to submit proposals for the GoFirst’s revival.
- ACI forecasts doubling of global passenger numbers by 2042; India in top 5 marketson February 16, 2024 at 8:30 am
At the dawn of 2024, global passenger traffic is poised to hit 9.7 billion, surpassing pre-pandemic levels for the first time since COVID-19. In 2023, the leading spots among the top 20 markets for total passenger traffic are held by the US, China, India, Spain, and the UK. However, by 2042 and 2052, China takes the lead, followed by the US, India, Indonesia, and Spain.
- Thailand plans to waive visa-free travel for more countrieson February 16, 2024 at 6:44 am
Thailand has recently waived visas for citizens of China and India to boost tourism, a key driver of Southeast Asia’s second-biggest economy. The visa-free programme for China has helped stimulate the economy “quite a lot”, he said. “Not just for China, we’ll continue to do this with several more countries,” he said without elaborating.
- Yatra Online reports 23% year-on-year revenue growth in Q3 FY 23-24on February 15, 2024 at 11:02 am
Operational highlights for the quarter indicate a robust performance in Yatra’s domestic air passenger segment, witnessing a remarkable growth of 26 per cent year-on-year, outpacing industry growth by a significant margin. This growth underscores the company’s effective strategies in capturing market share and solid brand recognition. Gross bookings also saw a healthy increase of 18 per cent year-on-year, totaling INR 18,605 million.
- Western Australia sees 30% surge in Indian arrivals; to target high net worth, adventure seekerson February 15, 2024 at 7:41 am
In 2019, India stood as WA’s 11th largest visitor market, witnessing about 31,000 visitors in the state. Fast forward to September 2023, visitor numbers rebounded to 87 per cent of pre-Covid levels. Rita Saffioti, BBus MLA Deputy Premier, Treasurer, Minister for Transport; Tourism- Government of Western Australia shares more on the importance of the burgeoning India market.
- ixigo files draft papers for IPO with fresh issue size of INR 120 croreon February 14, 2024 at 2:41 pm
The proceeds of INR 45 crore from the fresh issue from the ixigo IPO will be allocated for working capital requirements, while INR 26 crore will be invested in technology, including cloud and server hosting, artificial intelligence, and customer engagement. Additionally, funds will be earmarked for potential acquisitions and general corporate purposes.
- GB Srithar joins VFS Global as Head of Tourism Serviceson February 14, 2024 at 8:19 am
Bringing with him a distinguished career spanning over 27 years, Srithar joins VFS Global from the Singapore Tourism Board (STB), where he held various pivotal roles, including Area Director for South India & Sri Lanka and Regional Director overseeing marketing and tourism development across multiple regions. In his new role, Srithar will leverage his extensive expertise to provide specialized services in Travel, Trade, and Tourism Services to VFS Global’s client governments.
- From Pune to Agra: Uber’s intercity travel report spotlights India’s top routeson February 13, 2024 at 9:38 am
The unprecedented growth in Intercity travel is attributed to several factors, including the rise in leisure and religious tourism across the country and notable improvements in road infrastructure. The development of national and state highways has not only reduced travel times but also enhanced the overall comfort of road journeys, prompting more individuals to opt for longer-distance travel by road.